Welcome to the Year 6 page!
- Year 6 are currently working very hard on our rehearsals of Aladdin Trouble ready to share it with the school and parents in July. It will be a fantastic final production for the children and their enthusiasm in rehearsals is great to see!
- We all had a fantastic time in the Space Odyssey dome for our Evolution and Inheritance topic. It was amazing lying down and looking up at the stars! We found out a lot about the life and discoveries of Charles Darwin which really helped us to have a deeper understanding of our science unit.
- Year 6 loved their days at Gore Farm in Trent. A great time was had by all! We loved exploring the woods, being outdoors, building dens and getting very very muddy!
- Fleet Air Arm Museum. The whole of Year 6 had a great day at the Fleet Air Arm museum. We found out so much about the role of transport in World War 1 and how the different air crafts were used. We all agreed that we wouldn't want to fly in one of the early aircraft with canvas wings! The children then imagined they were working on the home front in the munition factories, making badges and painting flags onto the air craft wings. In the afternoon, we were given a tour around the museum to see all of their aircraft. We even got to go inside a real Concorde!
- Spirituality day - Love. The 4th October was our first spirituality day of the year and the theme across the school was love! We thought about what love means to us, how we show it and what life would be like if there was no love. After discussing the things and people that we love, we all contributed towards our own music video for the song 'Where is the love?'.
- The week commencing the 19th September at Holy Trinity was Paralympic Week, and all of the children had the opportunity to try some Paralympic sports such as wheelchair basketball, boccia and goalball! We were lucky enough to be visited by a 4x medal winning Invictus Games athlete, Sean Gaffney. He talked about what it was like to compete in the Invictus Games after losing his leg in a sporting accident many years ago. We got to feel the weight of his shot put - it was very heavy! We also got to pass around some of his prosthetic legs that he uses for different activities.
Overview of topics
- Maths: We are continuing to work on our arithmetic skills but also doing various projects to use our maths skills in contexts such as a creating our own theme parks.
- Literacy: We will be completing lots of literacy work in our history lessons as well as many opportunities for creative writing and poetry.
- History: Maya Civilisation.
- DT: Maya masks and chocolate!
- Science: Evolution and inheritance. Then we will be moving onto look at our living things unit and classification.
- PE: Athletics.